Saturday, 10 May 2008

May Book Reviews

The Anubis Gates
by Tim Powers

Dark and inevitably predictable and sometimes it seems as though he is trying to be funny, although he never quite manages that. But where's the sex? Come on Timmy - get it together man. Would a little titillation kill you? (Giggles childishly: I said tit.) Despite the disturbing lack of sex I thoroughly enjoyed The Anubis Gates.

Legends of Dune (The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin)
by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson

I can't recommend this series. Yes, I enjoyed it, because it is Dune. But I can't recommend it, because I found myself thinking "How did that line get past the editor" too damn many times, and because it seems to be trying too hard to provide a genesis for absolutely every situation and group and stuff in the later books. Does everything have to begin here, ten thousand years before the events in Dune? Also, needs more sex.