Friday, 29 February 2008

More Book Reviews

Agyar
by Steven Brust

Dark and stormy. Not your average Vampire novel. Lynda didn't much like it. I did much like it. Needs more sex.

The Eyre Affaire
by Jasper FForde

Thursday Next. What can I say? It's..... No, it's.... Uh.... Thursday Next. Needs more sex.....

Actually, at the risk of being overly verbose - Because let's face it, no review should be more than one paragraph - this is so offbeat I think it just created a whole new beat..... But that's no good. I will try again. This is so offbeat I think it just made scrambled eggs. Yes, much better.

Replay
by Ken Grimwood

Groundhog Day, but it's not a comedy, and it doesn't cover a single day; rather several decades. So deep and meaningful I think it just sprained an ankle. I wanted more from the ending while at the same time recognising the ending as ultimately inevitably appropriate. Needs more Ewoks.

Aurian
by Maggie Furey

This is the first of four (We are Borg. You will be assimilated... Sorry.) and is incomplete. I like novels that represent a complete story even when they are part of a larger whole. Therefore I do not like this novel. I may, however, decide that I very much like The Artefacts of Power, of which this is the first part. It is certainly a good beginning. Needs more stolen hotel towels.

Armageddon's Children
by Terry Brooks

See previous review. Needs more Gummi Bears. And sex. Obviously sex. The sex goes without saying. But I will say it anyway. Needs more sex.

The Knight
by Gene Wolfe

First let me just say that, as author of The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe can do no wrong. No, really, The Book of the New Sun is really that good. Now, as far as The Knight goes, see previous two reviews. Needs more NOTHING WHATSOEVER, because this is Gene Wolfe, and he wrote The Book of the New Sun.

The astute among you may realise that I am now in the middle of three incomplete stories. On the surface this seems less than ideal, but what you need to realise is that I have an enormous intellect just bursting with brilliant brain thingies and totally in tune with the universe and so, you see, I will have no trouble at all keeping track of all these different characters and stories and stuff. But thanks for your concern. Really, I'm touched. Now sod off before I go getting all emotional like.